|Jamie Oliver with school children in|
Huntington, West Virginia
These clips are about FLAVORED MILK ONLY. For the first episode of this season of The Revolution, see the bottom of this post.
How does this effect the music classroom?
- no students avoid chasing, running, skipping, dancing, or creative movement activities and games
- violence against teachers is unheard of in the school
- children are less aggressive
- children sleep better and are more alert at all points during the school day
- children can control their bodies better and avoid accidents
- children see food as a social event and means of nourishment instead of a recreational drug, this makes them look at other activities like music as more than entertainment
- songs and games about fruits (Apple tree, Old Roger), vegetables (Oats Peas Beans, Ol' Mister Rabbit, etc.) are about things that the children actually know
It is common for public school students to get calls home before the annual MCAS exams are administered. The gist of these calls is as follows.
- Your child is taking a test tomorrow
- Make sure they get enough sleep
- Make sure they have a hearty breakfast
- Make sure they are on time to school
Are you kidding me?!!!!!
Parents have to be told this?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
|A family eating good food together in peace. Wouldn't|
such a family also be expected to sing, dance, and play
together in peace?
Food, clothing, and shelter for children are the responsibility of families. As we have stuffed our faces with cheap, calorie-rich foods, we've forgotten to be adults. One of the reasons I do not want to teach in my home district is because I intend to be active in making those schools healthier places to be. I can't do that and maintain employment in the same district.
I'm absolutely behind Jamie Oliver's initiative. It's one that I am taking on personally in my battle of the bulge. My little daughter does not have a weight problem and I'm going to do everything in my power to help her to never develop one. The first step, get myself in shape and eating healthy food. Next step, working in my community to improve food in the schools. Are you on board too?